faerie tale feet fan art.
inspired by everyone’s favorite dreamy-eyed, wrackspurt-seeing ravenclaw luna lovegood, this faerie tale feet piece pays homage to all who live in their own clouds of wonder. and all those who hold fiercely to their beliefs of what others may doubt, especially the unwavering power of friendship.
let’s take a peek through my process and then i’ll reveal all the hidden background icons you’ll find in your new art!
so what all is in the background telling the luna’s story from the three books she appears in? here we go…
- her necklace of butterbeer caps
- ravenclaw shield (when harry & luna are looking for the now-horcrux diadem of rowena ravenclaw, we get a sneak peek into the mind of a ravenclaw. instead of a password, they have to answer a question. “which came first, the phoenix or the flame?” luna’s reply, “…i think the answer is that a circle has no beginning.” – book 7; pg. 587. definitely my kind of people.)
- thestrals [only she and harry can see them pulling the students’ carriages to hogwarts because they have both seen death firsthand (book 5; page 199, from where our painting title derives.) thestrals definitely make hagrid’s care of magical (invisible?) creatures lesson all the more interesting. they also make a spectacular appearance later when the brave DA members must get to the department of mysteries.]
- her orange radish earrings (book 5; page 261)
- her roaring gryffindor hat to show her support during quidditch
- mistletoe (“it’s often infested with nargles.” book 5; pg. 453.)
- spectrespecs (“…which gave her the look of a demented, multicolored owl.” book 6; pg. 138.)
- gurdyroots (onion-like things given to ron to ward off gulping plimpies.)
- her father’s golden deathly hallows symbol (he wore it as a necklace to bill & fleur’s wedding; it lead harry, ron, & hermione to xenophilius’ house in book 7.)
- the explosive erumpet horn (which luna and xenophilius incorrectly believed to be a harmless crumple-horned snorkack horn)
- the lovegood home (which looked like a rook- the castle chess piece in wizard’s chess.)
- silver hare patronus (it’s only mentioned very late in book 7, but they show it in the fifth movie which i find amazing.)
- her bright yellow robes worn to the weasley/delacour wedding; i’ve put a silver trim on the hem because of the silver robes she wore when harry took her (as friends) to slughorn’s Christmas party in book 6.
- and of course her sneakers are all her own.
original gouache painting is currently available for $450. email me if you wish to collect this piece. gouache on watercolour paper, 6x14" + matting & frame.
click through to follow the link to my etsy shoppe for limited edition prints!
*this is not an officially licensed product, merely the artist's brush and imagination at work with imagery and impressions left by pages of story at a certain wizarding school.*