"the rest of me."
faerie tale feet painting inspired by captain hook of j.m. barrie's peter pan.
"i have often," said smee, "noticed your strange dread of crocodiles."
"not of crocodiles," hook corrected him, "but of that one crocodile." he lowered his voice. "it liked my arm so much, smee, that it has followed me ever since, from sea to sea and from land to land, licking its lips for the rest of me."
"in a way," said smee, "it's a sort of compliment."
"i want no such compliments," hook barked petulantly. "i want peter pan, who first gave the brute its taste for me."
yes, it's true. this is the fourth neverland character i've painted in the faerie tale feet series, and can you blame me? :) a collector wanted a companion piece to their "i do believe in fairies!" tinker bell piece, and i couldn't resist painting the world's most favourite villain in a swash of brownish purples and reds. i LOVE how this one turned out!!
have a look at the painting process below, and then i'll share all the story elements i hid in icon form in that background pattern.
so we did it!
villainy stands tall to the end. :)
so here's what we hid in the background:
- neverland mermaids
- the pirate ship
- tiger lily
- the jolly roger flag
- peter's taunting shadow
- hook's right hand (er, hook)
- pirate scabbard
- smee's spectacles
- poison bottle (the 5 drops he put in peter's medicine cup)
- forget-me-nots (his eyes were the same colour blue, plus, hook loved flowers)
- codfish ("have we been captained all this time by a codfish?!")
- his double-cigar holder (so elegant)
- the alarm clock ("the way you got the time on the island was to find the crocodile, and then stay near him till the clock struck.")
- mushroom chimney of the lost boys' home under the ground
- the lantern (so seek out the doodle-do on board)
- the large, rich cake with green sugar hook tried to poison the lost boys with, but wendy kept taking it away, and it got so stale hook eventually tripped & fell over it in the dark.
- the compass rose
i hope you love it as much i do.
as it was a commission/special request, the original painting has sold, but you can collect limited edition signed prints HERE in my etsy shoppe!
& be sure to complete your NEVERLAND collection with peter, wendy, & tink, too!! ;)
and i'll leave you with some great hook book quotes cuz there are just so many from the book:
- His eyes were of the blue of the forget-me-not, and of a profound melancholy, save when he was purging his hood into you, at which time two red spots appeared in them and lit them up horribly. in manner, something of the grand seigneur still clung to him, so that he even ripped you up with an air, and I have been told that he was a raconteur of repute.
- It is quite impossible to say how time does wear on in the Neverland, where it is calculated by moons and suns, and there are ever so many more of them than on the mainland.
- "The game's up," he cried, "those boys have found a mother."
- "Bad form," he cried jeeringly, and went content to the crocodile.